Ahh January is over. Some of you are happy, since it means we are that much closer to spring. Others are sad as we enjoy the winter (yes, even more than we enjoy the summer!). Still, another group of you are sad because as January dwindles down, so does your commitment to eating healthy. That die hard NYE resolution that you were so adamant about sticking with (this time) feels so long ago. Well don’t forget, consistent small changes equal big pay offs! And summer bodies are made in the winter! So don’t give up! Keep eating healthy and keep cookin’ (or hire me to do that part!) one meal at a time. Okay, my inner life coach is done for the moment…back to the recipe.
Now it doesn’t matter if it’s January or February. All that matter is it’s cold. And you need food. Like warm comfort food. Now. Because clearly you didn’t listen to my advice from a few weeks back about using the slow cooker, because you are practically still sleeping as you zombify through your morning routine and hustle (sort of) to work. So now whatcha gonna do? One word…
SKILLET. I love me some skillet dishes. Not only are these babies easy and quick to make, cleanup is a cinch as the whole dinner is made in one, you guessed it, skillet. Below is a comfort food skillet fav of mine. I got this recipe from a friend and busy working mom, Kelly. She got the recipe from another busy mom friend. And as for her? Someone gave her this recipe on a cute little recipe card at her bridal shower a while back. So, I have no clue about the original source of this recipe, but I guarantee if you Google “cheeseburger skillet”, you will find a million different versions.
Side note – I made a Skinnytaste version called Cheeseburger Casserole. And that little smarty pants suggests you to top that baby with chopped pickles as a finishing touch. YUMMY!
Here are some ways you can modify this dish so it fits your lifestyle (or resolution):
- Want the comfort but not the fat? Use lean ground turkey.
- Turn it into gluten-free grub by using Banza chickpea pasta. It is one of the best-tasting non-pasta “pastas” ever! Umm oh yeah, did I mention this will cut the carbs and increase the protein and fiber.
Cheeseburger Macaroni Skillet
1 lb. lean ground beef (93% lean
8 oz. uncooked whole wheat macaroni
3 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
¾ cup fat-free milk
3 tbsp. ketchup
1 tsp. prepared mustard
2 tsp. Montreal Steak Seasoning
¼ tsp. onion powder
1cup (4 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese
Optional: Minced fresh chives (for garnish)
1. In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles. Drain.
2. Stir in macaroni, broth, milk, ketchup, mustard, steak seasoning, and onion powder; bring to a boil.
3. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered 10-15 minutes or until pasta is tender. Stir in cheese until melted. Sprinkle with chives.
Click here to download a printable copy of the Cheeseburger Macaroni Skillet Recipe